21 Questions to ask a Roofing Company/Contractor
Finding a qualified roofer can be difficult. Determining the roofing products and services you’ll need is even tougher. Therefore, it is vital for a homeowner to know how to go about finding a roofer they can trust and one that can get the job done right.
It is always a good idea to interview two or three different roofing companies and weigh the pros and cons of each. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples and then select the roofer that you feel the most comfortable with. Remember that choosing the cheapest contractor isn’t always the best option. Price does not indicate the level of experience, reliability, skill, honesty, or stability that a quality roofing contractor will have. Price only measures the cost of the job.
One of the best ways to find your 3 prospective roofing contractors is to ask your neighbors and friends. In many cases, they can give you recommendations on competent roofers as well as roofers to avoid. The Yellow Pages, Angie’s List, and Service Magic also have great contractor resources. Here are a few of the most important questions to ask a prospective roofing company. It also may be a good idea to print this page for future reference.
- How long has your company been in business?
- Where are you located? Physical location?
- Do you recommend a complete re-roof or just a repair?
- Does your company carry insurance? General liability and workman’s compensation?
- Is your company licensed to operate in this state?
- Do you pull permits?
- Do you provide references from satisfied customers?
- What is your roofing warranty? Manufacturer’s warranty?
- Is your roofing company certified by the manufacturer to install their products?
- Are you listed with the BBB? And if so what is your rating?
- When is payment required? Before or After the roof is installed or repaired?
- Will you provide a firm written contract?
- Will you use subcontractors for any part of the roofing process?
- Are you members of the NRCA (National Roofing Contractors Association)?
- What is your policy for waste removal and cleanup?
- Will the owner or foreman of the roofing company be present during working hours?
- How much does your company charge for replacement boards?
- Is the new roof Energy Star compliant. if so, am I eligible for a tax rebate?
- When can you get started and how long will it take?
- How should the roof be maintained when you have finished the job?
- Is there any pending legal action against your company?
Most quality roofers, with experience, won’t have any problems answering any of these questions and many will even have the information and documentation ready for you during their visit.
If you are in the market for a new roof or even a roof repair and would like to have multiple contractors compete for your business, please fill out the form in the sidebar to your right.
Back to Roofing Advice & Tips